So I thought I would do a tag for you all. Here is one I found a while ago, I don’t know who the original creator is but obviously it wasn’t me :P Feel free to do the tag though! Jess, I tag you!
1. Favorite children’s book/fairytale? I thought about this for a while… just kidding it was like one minute but still. And I have decided to choose Dear Dumb Diary (I think that’s what it is called). My sister bought me this book when I was maybe 10? I’m not sure, but I used to absolutely LOVE it! I wasn’t a very big reader as a kid, apart from the picture books and Little Golden Books, but I remember re-reading this book so many times, so I have to give it to this one.
2. Do you have more than one copy of the same book? Same or different edition? No I think that would be kind of pointless to be honest. Plus, I don’t have the money to singular copies of books let along multiple copies!
3. If you could change the fate of one book character, who would you choose? I didn’t realise there were going to be difficult questions in this book tag. ***SPOILER FOR DIVERGENT SERIES*** I would change the fate for Triss. I really didn’t like how the book ended. So I would definitely not let Triss die. I think it was really selfish of her to do that, even though it was meant to be a “selfless” act and all, but it just ruined the series for me. I honestly didn’t even like Triss that much, but I loved Four and so for his sake, I am changing the fate of Triss. **SPOILER OVER**
4. Do you use a bookmark or dog-ear the pages? Definitely book mark. I don’t see why anyone should dog ear the pages, like seriously, why do it? WHY?!
5. Choose a book character you would like to have as a friend in real life. I would love to have Meredith from Anna and the French Kiss as a friend. I think she was such a nice friend to Anna, even though Anna kind of betrayed her. She was also really funny and outgoing and I sort of need that in a friend otherwise I am really shy.
6. Which book do you think had the worst plot? There are so many books but one that I read recently that I …just couldn’t even, was The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. This book was just so stupid and everyone raves about it? Seriously a girl gets with her dead sisters boyfriend, and another guy AT THE SAME TIME? I don’t know about you, but that is just all kinds of wrong to me.
7. Which do you prefer: eReaders, tablets or physical books? I read mainly on my ipad both for price and the simplicity of not having to hold an actual book and lug it around/find a comfortable position to read in. BUT I love looking at the books on my shelf and being able to just flip through the book etc. So I am 50/50 I think.
8. Do you watch book trailers? No, I didn’t know they existed until about a year ago, BUT I feel like they give too much away, and I really like going into books blind, especially contemporary books, and since that’s pretty much all I read, I don’t watch trailers for them. But I do think it’s a nice idea to have a book trailer. But that’s also what the blurb is for so…?
9. Do you prefer a book series or stand-alone books? Hands down stand-alone. I just find I get bored of book series, or I really like the first one and then the rest are all crap. But then with a stand-alone, you have the problem of wanting more and not getting it. But still stand-alone fo’ shiz.
10. Does the book cover affect your decision on whether or not to buy the book? Um YES! I am definitely one that judges a book by its cover. If I don’t like the cover, I probably won’t even give it a second glance, unless I have heard rave reviews about it. I’ve probably missed out on so many great books this way, but seriously, if they want people to read it, they need to have really good covers.
11. And what is your favourite book cover? This is really hard for me, there re so many I can’t choose! I do really like The Catastrophic…, A Little Something Different, Stolen aaaand Shatter Me
12. Did you ever buy a book you thought you would love but couldn’t even finish? Which one? I didn’t buy the book but my very good friend bought me An Abundance of Katherines, and I read the blurb and really liked the sound of it, but I couldn’t get past 60 pages. It was just so BORING, although I will go back and re-read it because I don’t feel right saying I hate the book when I haven’t finished it.
13. Which book has touched you the most? Why? Still Alice by Lisa Genova. I can’t even explain how this book has changed me, but I just know I was different after reading that book. For weeks, even now months after I read it, I find myself going back to it and thinking… WOW. It has just changed my view on the world, and Alzheimer’s disease in general. It really makes you stop and think, especially for me who didn’t really know anything about it. And the fact that the book is written from the perspective of an Alzherimer’s patient, it just gets you that much more.
14. Which book have you re-read the most? Probably Twilight! I loved that book so much. I haven’t re-read a book in a while though but I am planning omg re-reading The Catastrophic History of You and Me real soon!
15. How do you select new books to read? Generally it’s what I am in the mood for. Lately, I’ve been in the mood for a GOOD BOOK yet I can’t seem to find one. I’ve been leaning more towards NA books but I seem to be enjoying YA books more. I also go by what I see everyone else is reading. If I see someone on Instagram or YouTube raving about a book, and it’s something I might like, I will generally go and get it, and then read it.
You know when you watch a movie and the characters are just really bad at acting, and it almost hurts to watch it? Well that is what this book was like. The characters had no chemistry together, and their conversations always seemed awkward. Not like awkward as in embarrassing, but awkward as in I just met you and I don’t really know how to act around you yet”.
This was a New Adult romace-y type book, but the only thing giving that away is the age of the characters, and the sex, which by the way, was poorly written in my opinion. It honestly felt like I was reading a book intended for 10-13 year old kids, it was just very… basic? Boring? I could give you a while heap of synonyms but I don’t know how to describe it. The characters were so annoying as well. The main character (I can’t even remember the name of her) was so insecure and immature it wasn’t even funny. The main guy was alright in the sense that he wasn’t as immature as her, but really he should have run away while he could.
Also, another thing that really bugs me with romance books, the characters always go through some sort of development and then as soon as the smallest thing happens, the characters break up for a while and then they realise they can't live without the other so they get back together, without even fixing the issue that caused the break up in the first place! I've noticed a lot of NA books do this, and it really irritates me. Do the authors think that this is like a requirement of a decent NA book? Because it really isn't. And if you're going to do it, at least make the reason for the break up to be believable. Disagreeing with someone's opinion doesn't result in a break up, if it did there would be no couples out there at all. (That whole last paragraph probably made no sense sorry!)
I can’t even tell you what the story was about because I really wasn’t paying much attention, I just wanted it to be over with. I’m sure the storyline was good and cute, but I just couldn’t get past the writing of it, it was just terrible.
Definitely wouldn’t recommend this book, so save yourself the trouble and go read The Catastrophic History of You and Me instead.
Cover Rating: 9/10
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance ( I feel like they all mean the same thing anyway)
I am really sorry if this review doesn't make any sense. I am really tired but I just wanted to write this before I forgot what I wanted to say, so it may slightly over the place, but considering I think theres about four people who actually read my reviews, I think it'll be fine :P
Anyway, I got this book a few weeks ago since I had been seeing it around Instagram and Booktube for a while now (also because seirously, that cover is just perfect). So the other day I finally picked it up and considering I am not a big fan of the Dystopian books, I am pretty surprised with how much I enjoyed it.
I thought the characters were great, and the story line was fantastic although I find it a little bit hard to explain exactly what it is about as I am still a little bit unsure. This was a Young Adult, dystopian romance novel, and I really enjoyed that there was more romance than there was action. I know there would be a lot of people who would disagree with that, but for someone who is a big romance junkie, this book was perfect.
I thought that he writing was good, but I felt there were a lot of things left unanswered considering the first book of a series, is usually the one to set the story up. In Shatter Me, you don’t really get any history as to why the world is the way it is, so I think it would have been better with a little more back story behind it. In saying that however, I did really like how (AUTHOR) described what the world was like and what was different about it, I could definitely picture it in my mind and I love that.
The writing itself took me a bit to get used to as it is written as a journal (but without the “dear diary” stuff) so is has a lot of words and sentences crossed out throughout the book. Not going to lie, this bugged me a lot, but I dealt with it.
I will definitely be reading the next one, as the ending to Shatter Me was where it just started to get interesting. I would definitely recommend this book though, especially for someone who is either just starting out in the Dystopian world, or someone like me who isn’t a big fan of the Dystopians.
Let me know in the comments what you thought! I’d love to hear your opinions. Also, how awesome was Kenji? I loved him so much, absolutely hilarious and adorable.
Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog!
Here you shall find reviews of all books I read, as well as book recommendations, TAGs and other bookish stuff :)
Click here to see my rating system.
I am a Book Depository affiliate! Use the link below to check out TBD!